Catherine Denlinger, MSW, LSW
Director of Social Services
The GRAND of Dublin
This SSS (Social Services Series) will be a continuation of Ohio & Federal Nursing Home Residents’ Bill of Rights. During our last series we looked at the first five resident rights. We will resume summarizing the resident rights continuing with number six.
- Residents have the right to request and obtain the name and any specialty of any physician and/or any other person that is responsible for his/her care or coordination of care in the center.
- Residents have the right to request/assign/select an attending physician that is not on the staff of the nursing center if they so wish (in accordance with the rules and written policies/procedures of the nursing center).
- Residents have the right to partake in the decisions that affect his/her life including but not limited to communication with the physician and/or staff of the nursing center regarding their care/treatment planning, medical condition, prognosis, etc. Residents further have the right to access their medical record as well as to give and/or withhold informed consent for treatment after the consequences of that choice is explained.
- Residents have the right to withhold payment for physician visits if the physician did not actually visit the resident.
- Residents have the right to confidentiality of their medical records. Residents have the right to refuse the release of their records to anyone outside the nursing center, except in cases of a transfer to another center, hospital or health care system.
- Residents have the right to privacy, especially during medical examination and/or care/treatment of their person.
- Residents have the right to refuse care/treatment.
- Residents have the right to be free from physical/chemical restraints or prolonged isolation. Physical or chemical restraints or isolation may be used in an emergency situation without authorization of the attending physician only to protect the resident from injury to self or others.
- Residents have the right to utilize the pharmacy of their choosing.
- Residents have the right to exercise all civil rights.
To review these rights in more detail please visit: Lawriter – ORC – 3721.13 Residents’ rights. codes.ohio.gov/orc/3721.13 and/or https://www.ohca.org/nursing_home_residents_bill_of_rights